Another social network.. again?
Much has been said about the new Google+ social networking service. After a few different approaches (i.e. Orkut and Google Buzz), Google has rolled out something that might take off. Beyond all the social media hogwash about monetizing the web and other jargon, Google+ has some features that are wonderful.
- The G+ backend is not based on MySQL. Facebook's infrastructure is based on a wonderful piece of technology that is now end of life.
- Anyone who is already using Gmail is already 99% of the way there.
- Picasa integration. I'm still more of a Flickr fan, but would rather store and manage photos on Picasa than in Facebook's network.
- A more granular and configurable security model. Having the ability to use the same account to connect with work and friends is key. Being able to have asymmetrical relationships is one of the biggest highlights in my mind.
- Once they add iPhone and SMS support they are in the Facebook and Twitter killer market.